Position: Lab Technician
Location: Rock, Cornwall
Salary: Competitive + Benefits
There’s an energy about Sharp’s Brewery, something intrinsically Cornish, something fuelled by being among the elements. A passion for the place that makes its way into every drop of beer we make. Situated on the North Cornish coast, looking out over the vast Atlantic, it is the ideal space to create exceptional beers that speak of where we come from.
Sharp’s is proud of consistently turning out the highest quality beer to our customers and there is currently an exceptional opportunity for a multi skilled Lab Technician to be responsible for ensuring Analytical and Microbiological analysis is carried out in accordance with standard operating procedures (SOP), to ensure we are able to continue turning out award winning beers like Doom Bar, Atlantic, Wolf Rock, Sea Fury and Sharps Pilsner.
This individual will be based at our unique brewery in Rock, Cornwall, working within the local team to apply operational skills to deliver the plan for the work area, adhering to safety, cost, quality and service targets.
As a Laboratory Technician your responsibilities will include:
- Operate departmental control and monitoring systems (e.g. safety, quality, environmental, cost) to maintain the highest standards of operations and support effective communication in the department and across the Sharp’s site, internal and external customers and suppliers
- Where appropriate, work with others to develop and write SOPs in the instance of new or improved processes
- Maintain equipment and work area in optimum condition by performing required maintenance and 5S tasks during the normal course of operations
- Validate off-line and on-line instrumentation
- Work within all local hygiene, health, safety and environmental legislation and best practice, including and not limited to HACCP, COSHH, BRC, FEMAS, Safety the Molson Coors Way and maintain personal legislative training compliance
- Work with colleagues to respond to adverse analytical and/or microbiological trends, helping to support process and production areas in required improvements
- Assist in providing sensory services to help evaluate and report on process and flavour consistency of brand
- Monitor and record trends in quality and hygiene outputs and data
- Monitor and record information in an accurate and timely manner, using appropriate systems (electronic or paper-based) to improve performance while actively engaging with communication processes - written, verbal and electronic
- Actively engage in problem solving to achieve improvement in department KPIs
- Communicate and train-out new or revised SOPs to colleagues and peers as appropriate
- Take responsibility for exploring and validating new technologies to improve performance
- Continuously review practices, process and operations to identify opportunities to improve standards. Work with colleagues and peers to develop these improvements and embed into day to day operations
- Respond to adverse analytical and or/microbiological trends in process and production areas, supporting the areas to improve
- Improve process and/or operational capability by leading problem solving tools and techniques, carrying out root cause analysis to determine cause of problems with the overall objective of improving department and site KPI’s
In order to be considered for this role we are looking for the following skills and experience:
- Ideally possess a Science related degree, or equivalent experience, and exposure to working in a lab environment in a food or drink manufacturing environment
- Practical experience of operating analytical equipment (GC) and microbiological techniques.
- Excellent communication skills paired with the ability to work at pace to deliver results
- Able to work effectively with other teams both inside own departmental and those with internal supply or customer relationships.
- Demonstrable evidence of having an analytical approach to your work
- IT literate and competent with Microsoft packages
If that sounds great, then we’d like to hear from you. Please follow the link below to apply.